MIDAS Q1 2018: 6 million adults listen to podcasts
Published May 21, 2018 by RadioWorks Group
RAJAR MIDAS results provide context and understanding into how, when and where people listen to audio in today’s landscape. On-demand listening is becoming increasingly more prevalent and as the usage of online devices such as smartphones and tablets continue to grow, MIDAS allows us to view a snapshot of the UK’s listening habits, offering insight into the ways in which listeners behave and consume content.
Spring Q1 2018 Highlights
- 6 million adults (11% of the adult population) use a Podcast in an average week.
- Smartphones are the most popular way to listen to a Podcast with a reach of 72%.
Podcasts thrive in the 25-34 age group.
- Over half (53%) of all Podcasting hours are either consumed while Driving/Travelling (28%) or Working/Studying (25%)
- 25% of surveyed respondents said they usually listen to most of a Podcast episode and 65% said they normally listen to an entire episode.
- 20.9m people claim have access to a Bluetooth speaker or Soundbar
- Voice-activated speakers made the survey but had just a 1% device share for Podcasts.
- 90% of listeners make it through pre-roll and mid-roll adverts.
Data collection for Q1 2018 results occurred February of this year.